Right-click in the unallocated space on the initialized disk and select New Simple Volume. Use the wizard to create a partition with the NTFS or FAT32 file system. The drive will now be formatted for use by Windows systems. There will be no space wasted by protected Mac partitions.
How do I format a Mac hard drive for Windows?
Format a disk for Windows computers in Disk Utility on Mac
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices. …
- In the sidebar, select the disk you want to format to use with Windows computers.
- Click the Erase button in the toolbar.
How do I make my Mac external hard drive compatible with my PC?
How to format an external drive in OS X
- Select the drive you want to format. …
- Enter the amount of space you want to set aside for Time Machine. …
- Select the new untitled partition so we can format it as exFAT for use with both Mac and Windows. …
- Give the partition a name and select exFAT for the format.
How do I change the format of my external hard drive for Windows?
To reformat a drive on Windows:
- Plug in the drive and open Windows Explorer.
- Right-click the drive and choose Format from the drop-down menu.
- Select the file system you want, give your drive a name under Volume label, and make sure the Quick Format box is checked.
- Click Start, and the computer will reformat your drive.
How do I unformat an external hard drive on a Mac?
To unformat an external hard drive:
- Connect the external hard drive to Mac. …
- This software will scan your external hard drive and display the scanning results on the left pane.
- In the scan results, select the file(s) and click “Recover Now” to get them back.
Can Windows detect Mac hard drive?
A hard drive formatted for use in a Mac has either an HFS or HFS+ file system. For this reason, a Mac-formatted hard drive is not directly compatible, nor readable by a Windows computer. The HFS and HFS+ file systems are not readable by Windows.
Can my Mac read my PC external hard drive?
Macs can easily read PC-formatted hard disk drives. … Your old external Windows PC drive will work great on the Mac. Apple has built OS X Yosemite and some previous OS X releases with the ability to read from those disks just fine.
Can you use WD Passport for both Mac and PC?
Your Western Digital My Passport drive is now formatted to work on both Mac and PC. And when you plug your My Passport drive into either you will be able to see the drive, read and write files. Copy and Paste files and create folders on both Mac and PC.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC without formatting?
How to make external hard drive compatible with mac and pc without formatting:
- Fortunately there’s a viable neutral ground that is exFat file system. …
- By changing the disk consents and permission to read only option. …
- By splitting a portion of your external drive for windows and mac.
Do I have to format a new external hard drive?
Most external hard drives come formatted with the FAT file system, which makes the drive compatible with multiple operating systems. … However, if you do not intend to change the file system, a format is not necessary.
Why is my external hard drive not showing up on my computer?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
How can I format my external hard drive when not recognized?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. …
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC) …
- Update Your Drivers. …
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch. …
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive. …
- Our Favorite External Hard Drives.
Can you unformat a drive?
Is it possible to unformat a hard drive? It is possible to unformat a hard drive as long as the drive is formatted via quick format (Quick Format VS Full Format [How to Choose For Data Security]) and the lost data are not overwritten by new data.
How do I recover files from a formatted hard drive Mac?
To recover files from a formatted hard drive on Mac:
- Install Disk Drill on a different drive than the formatted on you wish to restore.
- Launch the app and select the formatted drive from the disk list.
- Click Recover to scan for recoverable data.
- Preview the files and select those to be restored.
How good is Disk Drill?
If you are in need of a data recovery tool for Windows, Disk Drill is an excellent option. It will find your lost and deleted data in a few clicks. It also helps protect your important files and disks with its additional free tools. In our opinion, it should be your first choice when faced with a data loss scenario.