How do I erase an external hard drive on a Mac?
Backup files before erasing
- Connect the hard drive to your computer, power it on and launch Finder. …
- Click the Go menu and select Utilities. …
- Select the external hard drive (left; sorted Internal, External, and Disk Images) and click the Erase button. …
- Enter a Name, select the Format and Scheme, and click Erase.
How do I clear external hard drive?
Wiping Your Old External Hard Drive
- Connect your external hard drive to your computer.
- Open your Disk Utility App.
- Select the drive you want to wipe clean (just to be sure you don’t erase the wrong hard drive, disconnect any other external hard drives and double-check that the correct drive is selected)
- Click Erase.
What happens if I erase Macintosh HD in Disk Utility?
Erasing your Mac permanently deletes its files. If you want to restore your Mac to factory settings, such as to prepare it for a new owner, first learn what to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.
Why can’t I erase my Macintosh HD in Disk Utility?
It’s not usually possible to erase the startup disk because your Mac is using it to run macOS. Recovery Mode is a special partition on your Mac you can use to restore from a backup, reinstall macOS, get online support, or erase your startup disk. You should back up your Mac before trying to erase or reformat it.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC?
How to format an external drive in OS X
- Select the drive you want to format. …
- Enter the amount of space you want to set aside for Time Machine. …
- Select the new untitled partition so we can format it as exFAT for use with both Mac and Windows. …
- Give the partition a name and select exFAT for the format.
How do I permanently delete deleted files from my hard drive?
Step-by-Step: Using Eraser
- Navigate to the files or folders that you want to securely erase.
- Right-click on the files and/or folders and an Eraser menu will appear.
- Highlight and click Erase in the Eraser menu.
- Click Start > Run… , type cmd and press OK or Enter (Return). …
- Navigate to where you have SDelete downloaded.
How long does it take to erase an external hard drive?
In cases where a drive with a capacity of a terabyte will be wiped using the DoD-approved nine passes of randomly written ones and zeros, it is very likely that this process will take in excess of one month of 24 hours per day processing to finish this wiping procedure.
How do I clear my external hard drive without formatting?
How to Restore Data from External Hard Drive Without Formatting?
- Scan Your Computer for Viruses.
- Use CHKDSK to Fix File System Errors.
- Replace Corrupted Files with SFC.
- Recover Your Files with Data Recovery Software.
Do I need to erase Macintosh HD data?
To perform a clean re-install in Catalina, once in Recovery Mode, you need to delete your Data volume, that’s the one named Macintosh HD – Data , or something similar if you’re using a custom name, and to erase your System volume.
How do you factory reset a Mac computer?
To reset your Mac, first restart your computer. Then press and hold Command + R until you see the Apple logo. Next, go to Disk Utility > View > View all devices, and choose the top drive. Next, click Erase, fill out the required details, and hit Erase again.
Can I delete Macintosh HD data?
Click on this Macintosh HD – Data drive to select it. Either click on the – button or go to the menu and choose Edit > Delete APFS volume. You will see a message warning you that this will permanently erase your data. Click on Delete.