Open the Start menu, type “device manager,” and press Enter when the option appears. Expand the Disk Drives menu and the Universal Serial Bus menu to see if your external drive appears in either set.
How do I make my external hard drive discoverable on my network?
Adding an external hard drive to your network
- Connect the external hard drive to the USB port of your server or computer that is always ON.
- Click the Start button, then click Computer.
- Right-click on the external drive, then select Share with.
- Click the Advanced Sharing…
- Check the Share this folder option.
Why does Windows 10 not recognize my external hard drive?
If the external hard drive is not showing up in Windows 10, it may be caused by the incompatible file system format. If there is no data on the drive, you can right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select Format to format the drive to NTFS. But this will lost all data.
How do I fix my WD external hard drive not showing up on my computer?
Go Disk Management > Find your external hard drive and right click it by choosing Change Drive Letter and Path… Assign the drive with a new letter that doesn’t exist in your PC and mark the Partition as Active. Click OK. Restart PC and your External hard drive will show up and work again.
Why is my Seagate external hard drive not being recognized?
If your Seagate external hard drive is detected, the original cable is the cause. If the problem still appears, connect the external hard drive to another USB port. … If your computer is desktop, you should make sure that the USB port into which the Seagate external hard drive plugs is on the back of your computer.
Can two computers connect to the same external hard drive?
You can link a single external hard drive to two or more computers that are on the same network. … You cannot, however, connect two computers directly to the drive by USB, eSATA or Firewire. External hard drives can only be connected to one computer, and they can then be set up for sharing over a network.
How do I access an external hard drive connected to my router?
Right-click the drive and select “Map network drive” and give it a drive letter that isn’t already being used, make sure “Reconnect at sign-in” is checked, then click Finish. After that, any time you restart and connect your desktop or laptop computer to the network, the drive connected to the router will appear.
What do I do if my external hard drive is not detected?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. Western Digital My Book. …
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC) …
- Update Your Drivers. …
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch. …
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive.
How do I fix Windows not detecting my hard drive?
To check to see if this is the cause of the BIOS not detecting the hard drive, follow these steps:
- Power off the computer.
- Open the computer case and remove the data cable from the hard drive. This will stop any power saving commands from being sent.
- Turn on the system. Check to see if the hard drive is spinning.
Why is my external hard drive not detected?
Hard drive not detected error/issue can be caused by the following situations: The USB driver has become unstable, outdated or corrupt. USB ports become faulty, damaged or broken. Partition issues on your external USB device.
How do I reset my external hard drive?
To reformat a drive on Windows:
- Plug in the drive and open Windows Explorer.
- Right-click the drive and choose Format from the drop-down menu.
- Select the file system you want, give your drive a name under Volume label, and make sure the Quick Format box is checked.
- Click Start, and the computer will reformat your drive.
How do I fix an undetected Seagate external hard drive?
Quick Tips to Fix Problematic Seagate External Disk:
- Try a different USB port on the computer.
- Switch to a new cable if the current one is damaged.
- Try connecting the drive to a different computer.
- Verify if the drive’s light is on. …
- Try a different power outlet.
How do I reset my Seagate external hard drive?
Reset using the button
- Power down the Seagate Central by unplugging it from power.
- Wait approximately 15 seconds.
- Power up the Seagate Central again.
- Wait for the device to fully boot and show a steady, non-blinking green light. This takes about three to four minutes. …
- Wait until the light becomes solidly illuminated.
How do I fix a corrupted Seagate external hard drive?
How to fix a corrupted external hard drive WITHOUT formatting
- On the desktop, open This PC (My Computer) and select the desired external hard drive. Right-click it and select Properties -> Tools -> Click on Check. …
- Use chkdsk.
- Use Disk Management. …
- Use diskpart.