To summarize, the two methods you can use to play music directly from a hard drive are either to connect the drive to a receiver or other playback device which has the capacity to work with USB mass storage devices, or simply hook it up to a computer and use a media player.
How do I get music to recognize music on my external hard drive?
How to Connect the External Hard Drive on iTunes
- Hold down Option or Shift when you launch iTunes.
- Select the iTunes library on the external drive.
- Next, go to File > Library > Organize Library.
- In the window that pops up, make sure the box next to Consolidate files is clicked.
- Click OK.
How do I play music from my external hard drive on my Mac?
Step 1: Open iTunes > Plug in your external hard drive. Step 2: Click on File menu in iTunes > Choose Add to Library. Step 3: Select your external hard drive > Choose the music or music folder > Click on Open.
How do I play music from an external hard drive on Windows Media Player?
Kat Korsmo asked how to play music off an external hard in Windows Media Player library.
Windows Media Player, version 12
- Plug in the portable drive.
- In Windows (or File) Explorer, right-click Music in the left pane under Libraries, and select Properties.
- Click Include a folder [Add in Windows 8] and follow the prompts.
How do I play files from my external hard drive?
Simply plug the drive’s USB connector into a USB socket (“port”) on the computer. After a moment, the PC will recognize the drive and an icon will automatically appear in Windows File Explorer.
Can I keep my iTunes library on an external drive?
Drag the folder called iTunes to your external drive to copy it over. This may take some time, especially if you have a large library. You may have to enter an administrator password. Once the iTunes folder has fully copied over to the external drive, point the iTunes program on the PC to the library’s new location.
Can I save my iTunes library to an external hard drive?
After you consolidate your media files, you can back up your library and media files to an external drive. Quit iTunes. … Right-click on your iTunes folder, then choose Copy. Go to your external hard drive, then right-click and choose Paste.
What is the best way to store music from CDS?
If space is at a premium in your home, and you don’t want to display your CD collection, your best bet is keeping your collection in a binder. This one from Case Logic can hold 208 discs and has a durable nylon outer shell to prevent damage if you drop it.
How do I move Windows Media Player library to an external hard drive?
Next, right-click on the playlist you want to transfer and then click the “Open File Location” command. From that folder, you can transfer playlists however you want. Copy and paste (or drag and drop) them to an external drive, zip them up and send them via email, or upload them to cloud storage.
How do I backup my music on Windows Media Player?
To Back Up License Files
- In Windows Media Player, click the Tools menu, and then click License Management.
- Select the folder where you want to back up the license information, and then click Backup Now. Microsoft recommends that you use the default location: My Documents.
How do I transfer pictures to an external hard drive?
Locate the folders or files you want to copy or move. If you are looking to back up your photos, then you want to Copy the folder. Once copied, move to the hard drive and then paste the folder where you want it to sit. The other way is to drag and drop the folder into the new hard drive.
How do I transfer files to an external hard drive faster?
How to Transfer Files from PC to External Hard Drive Faster FAQs
- Connect the USB to Rear Port.
- Update USB/Chipset Drivers.
- Enable USB 3.0 Port.
- Optimize the Performance.
- Convert FAT32 to NTFS.
- Format USB.