If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my external hard drive?
I can’t access my external hard drive with Windows 10….
- Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.
- Click on Troubleshooting.
- Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
- Click on Hardware and Devices option.
- Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.
What do I do when my external hard drive is not detected?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. …
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC) …
- Update Your Drivers. …
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch. …
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive. …
- Our Favorite External Hard Drives.
How do I fix my WD external hard drive not showing up on my computer?
Go Disk Management > Find your external hard drive and right click it by choosing Change Drive Letter and Path… Assign the drive with a new letter that doesn’t exist in your PC and mark the Partition as Active. Click OK. Restart PC and your External hard drive will show up and work again.
Why is my external hard drive not showing up in file explorer?
This can be caused by any of the following: Your drive does not have a drive letter assigned to it in Disk Management. The drive may be disabled or offline. Your USB driver may be corrupted.
Why is my TV not recognizing my external hard drive?
If your TV does not support the NTFS file format, but prefers the Fat32 format instead, then you will need to download a third party utility to convert your NTFS drive to Fat32 — since Windows 7 cannot do this natively. One go-to application that has worked well for us in the past is Fat32format.
Why is my Seagate external hard drive not showing up?
If your Seagate external hard drive is detected, the original cable is the cause. If the problem still appears, connect the external hard drive to another USB port. … If your computer is desktop, you should make sure that the USB port into which the Seagate external hard drive plugs is on the back of your computer.
Why is my computer not detecting my hard drive?
The BIOS will not detect a hard disk if the data cable is damaged or the connection is incorrect. Serial ATA cables, in particular, can sometimes fall out of their connection. Be sure to check your SATA cables are tightly connected to the SATA port connection.
How do I reset my external hard drive?
To reformat a drive on Windows:
- Plug in the drive and open Windows Explorer.
- Right-click the drive and choose Format from the drop-down menu.
- Select the file system you want, give your drive a name under Volume label, and make sure the Quick Format box is checked.
- Click Start, and the computer will reformat your drive.