Check Apple’s Disk Utility to see if an external drive is showing up. Disk Utility is within System Preferences, or you can find it using Spotlight. If it is visible, then click the option to Mount, which should make it visible on the desktop and in the External Drives option in the Finder menu.
How do I get my Mac to recognize my external DVD drive?
Try the following to make sure your Mac is set to show mounted drives on the desktop.
- Open the Finder.
- Click on Finder in the menu at the top of your screen.
- Choose Preferences > General and make sure that there is a tick beside External Drives.
How do I use an external CD drive on a Mac?
To use your SuperDrive, connect it to a USB-A port on your Mac*, then insert a disc. Make sure that the aluminum enclosure of the SuperDrive is facing up.
Connect and use your SuperDrive
- USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.
- USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter.
- USB-C to USB Adapter.
How do I get Mac to recognize CD?
Check your Finder preferences. With the Finder active, from the Finder menu, select Preferences…. Click the General icon, and look under “Show these items on the Desktop:”. Make sure CDs, DVDs, and iPods is checked.
Do external DVD drives work on Mac?
If your Mac doesn’t have a built-in optical drive, you can use another computer’s DVD or CD drive, or use an external optical drive, such as the Apple USB SuperDrive.
Why is my Mac not recognizing my external hard drive?
Change the Finder settings
One of the most common reasons for Mac not recognizing external hard drives is due to the system not being set up to display hard drives on the desktop. … Open a Finder window. Go to Preferences > General. Check that the External disks option is enabled.
Can you connect an external CD drive to a MacBook Air?
The easiest option is to simply purchase an external USB DVD drive. … Just jack it into your MacBook’s USB port and shove your discs into it as needed. With it you can play DVD movies, play and rip CDs with iTunes, and install software if it’s compatible with your Mac.
How do I use an external CD drive?
You can use an external CD drive on both your desktop and laptop. Insert one end of the USB cable into the external CD drive. Plug the other end of the cable into your computer’s USB port. Allow the computer to install the drivers for your external CD drive.
How do I insert a CD into my MacBook Pro 2020?
Insert a CD or DVD
- Turn the disc label so it faces up or toward you.
- Insert the disc into the optical drive until you feel the drive catch and pull the disc in. You must insert the disc nearly all the way in before the drive pulls it in.
How do I play an external DVD on my MacBook pro?
Play a DVD movie file stored on your Mac
- In the DVD Player app on your Mac, Choose File > Open DVD Media.
- Navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder that contains the movie file you want to play, then click Open.
How do I get my computer to recognize an external CD drive?
Check the drive name in Device Manager, and then reinstall the drive in Device Manager to determine if Windows is able to recognize the drive. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager. Double-click DVD/CD-ROM drives to expand the category. If DVD/CD-ROM drives is not in the list, skip to Reset the computer power.
Why is DVD player on Mac not working?
DVD not be recognized/read usually happens when you insert DVD disc improperly, have a damaged disc or DVD drive, or your DVD drive driver goes outdated. For that, you can repair or buy a new DVD drive, or reset NVRAM (or PRAM) via press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys to shut down your computer and turn on later.
What is the best external CD drive for MacBook air?
Best CD/DVD drives for Mac 2021
- USB-C compatible: ASUS ZenDrive U9M.
- No adapter needed: The NOLYTH USB-C Superdrive.
- Cupertino’s own: Apple USB SuperDrive.
- USB-C and USB 3.0: VersionTECh External CD/DVD Drive.
- Inexpensive choice: LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Super Multi Ultra Slim Portable DVD Writer Drive.
What is the best external CD drive?
The 6 Best External Optical Drives of 2021
- Best Overall: ASUS BW-16D1X-U at Walmart. …
- Best Budget: LG GP65NB60 at Amazon. …
- Runner-Up, Best Budget: Dell DW316 External USB Slim DVD R/W at Amazon. …
- Most Compact: Verbatim External Slimline Blu-ray Writer (70102) at Amazon. …
- Runner-Up, Most Compact: …
- Best Ultra-HD Ready: