If the light blinks when you insert the WD external hard drive into the computer, that means it can be detected by the PC but it is hidden. To fix this problem, you can unhide all hidden devices.
How do I fix a flashing external hard drive?
Quite often, issues such as a Seagate external hard disk light blinking but not being detected can be fixed by simply rebooting the computer. To do this, disconnect your external hard drive from the computer. Now turn off the PC for at least 1 minute. Then reconnect the external hard drive and turn on the computer.
What does a blinking hard drive light mean?
Throughout a standard day, it’s entirely normal for the hard drive activity light to flash on and off repeatedly, all day long. … Windows will often wait until your computer is idle before running specific tasks, which means you may see the hard drive activity light flashing even while you’re not actively doing anything.
How do I fix my external hard drive blinking but not detectable?
How to Fix External Drive Blinking but Not Detectable Issue?
- Click Start.
- Type devmgmt. …
- Press Enter.
- Click Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Now, right-click on USB Root Hub, choose Properties followed by Power Management.
- Disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
How do I troubleshoot my WD external hard drive?
Fix WD external hard drive not recognized error
- Go to Setting > Update & security.
- Tab on Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart now.
- PC will automatically boot into another Startup Settings screen.
- Press F4 to initiate PC reboot into Safe Mode.
- Then check whether the WD external hard disk can be detected or not.
Can you reset an external hard drive?
Click the Go menu, select Utilities from the drop-down menu, and open Disk Utility. Choose your external drive from the left sidebar, and click Erase. … Click Erase, and the system will reformat your drive.
When I plug in external hard drive nothing happens?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
Why is my Seagate external hard drive not being recognized?
If your Seagate external hard drive is detected, the original cable is the cause. If the problem still appears, connect the external hard drive to another USB port. … If your computer is desktop, you should make sure that the USB port into which the Seagate external hard drive plugs is on the back of your computer.
How do I fix Seagate External Hard Drive not detected?
Basic hardware troubleshooting steps:
- Try connecting the drive to a different port on the computer.
- If possible, try using a different cable.
- Try using the drive on a different computer.
- Verify the drive light is on. …
- Try a different power outlet.
Why is my WD external hard drive not showing up?
If it shows but it does not show a drive letter, make sure you give it one. Also, try to connect the drive to a USB port in the back of the computer, avoid using a USB hub. You can also try uninstalling the usb driver and once you restart the computer, the drivers should get reinstalled by the operating system.
How can I recover data from external hard drive?
To recover deleted files from an external hard drive:
- Connect an external hard disk to your PC.
- Launch Disk Drill for Windows or Mac.
- Select your drive from the list.
- Click Search for lost data.
- Preview files that Disk Drill can retrieve.
- Select the files for recovery and click Recover all button.