Here are some possible reasons for a WD hard drive not recognized: A hardware problem (damaged components such as a scratched platter or a failed headstack) File system corruption of the hard drive partition. Issues with a hard drive partition.
How do I fix my WD external hard drive not recognized?
Fix WD external hard drive not recognized error
- Go to Setting > Update & security.
- Tab on Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart now.
- PC will automatically boot into another Startup Settings screen.
- Press F4 to initiate PC reboot into Safe Mode.
- Then check whether the WD external hard disk can be detected or not.
How do I fix a dead Western Digital hard drive?
Here is how to revive a dead external hard drive in this case:
- Remove and disconnect the drive. Now try connecting it to other USB ports.
- Try another USB cable, then restart the computer.
- Try connecting the drive to another laptop/PC; better yet, one with a different OS.
How do I reset my WD external hard drive?
How to Reset a WD Drive
- Leave the drive turned on but unplug it from your computer.
- Turn around the drive and locate the “Reset” button on the back panel of the unit. …
- Unbend the leg of a paperclip and insert it into the hole until you depress the reset button and the paperclip won’t go any further. …
Why is my WD external hard drive not showing up?
If it shows but it does not show a drive letter, make sure you give it one. Also, try to connect the drive to a USB port in the back of the computer, avoid using a USB hub. You can also try uninstalling the usb driver and once you restart the computer, the drivers should get reinstalled by the operating system.
Why my external hard disk is not working?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
How do I fix a hard drive that is not detected?
Two Quick Fixes for Hard Disk Not Detected in BIOS
- Shut down your PC at first.
- Open your computer cases and remove all the screws with a screwdriver.
- Unplug the hard drive which fails to be recognized by Windows BIOS, and remove the ATA or SATA cable and its power cable.
How do I fix my external hard drive that won’t boot?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. Western Digital My Book. …
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC) …
- Update Your Drivers. …
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch. …
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive.
Is it possible to recover data from a dead external hard drive?
Is it Even Possible to Restore Data From a Dead External Hard Drive? Yes, it is possible to recover data from a dead external hard drive. … The key factor for logical damage is to get your computer to recognize the broken device so you can use recovery software to recover files from the dead external hard drive.
Can external hard disk be repaired?
Generally speaking, the external hard drive errors can be repaired using CMD. What you should note is that regarding “chkdsk f: /f “, the first f should be replaced with the drive letter of the external hard drive.
How do I unlock my WD external hard drive?
▪ Go > Applications > WD Drive Utilities
On the Unlock Drive dialog: a. Type your password in the Password box. b. Click Unlock Drive.
Why is my wd elements not recognized?
If the WD external hard drive shows as unrecognized, go to the driver’s tab and delete/uninstall the driver. Then check out whether the external hard drive shows up in My Computer/My PC or not. If it doesn’t show up, reboot or restart the PC.
How do you reset a drive?
How to wipe a Windows hard drive
- Click the Start button and then click “Settings.”
- In the Settings window, click “Update & Security.”
- In the pane on the left, click “Recovery.”
- In the Reset this PC section of the window, click “Get started.”
- In the Reset this PC window, click “Remove everything.”