Connect the thumb drive to your Mac. Launch Disk Utility; press Command+Space then type: disk utility. Select your thumb drive in the Disk Utility window, then click the Erase tab. In the Format list box, select ExFAT, enter a Volume Label if you want, then click Erase.
How do I change my flash drive to exFAT?
Transferring a 4GB or larger file to a USB flash drive or memory…
- Double-click on My Computer.
- Right-click on the flash drive or memory card, then select Format.
- In the File System list, click exFAT.
- Click Start.
- Click OK to start formatting.
Can macOS format exFAT?
Mac OS X prefers the Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus) file system and can only read NTFS (Windows file system). … ExFAT file system, on the other hand, works on Mac OS X (requires Snow Leopard 10.6. 8 or later) and Windows (requires Windows XP SP3 or later).
How do I change from FAT32 to exFAT on Mac?
You can convert “FAT32” to “exFAT” on Mac using the Disk utility option that it provides. In the disk utility, follow the below steps: Select the disk partition that you want to format from the list of disks displayed on the left pane of the interface. Under erase tab->File system, select “exFAT” and click on erase.
How do I change the format of my flash drive on a Mac?
1 Format a USB Drive with a Mac
- Insert a USB drive into your USB port.
- macOS will recognize the drive and show its icon on the desktop.
- Launch Disk Utility. …
- Select your USB drive from the list on the left.
- Select Erase at the top.
- Type in a Name for the drive, then select a Format.
How do I change my USB from exFAT to FAT32?
On Disk Management, Right-click on your exFAT USB or external device, select “Format”. Step 4. Set the file system to FAT32, tick “Quick Format” and click “OK” to confirm. When the formatting process finishes, your device is ready for saving and transfer files in the FAT32 format.
Can Mac read exFAT external hard drive?
The Mac operating system requires that you use a disk formatted using a compatible file system. You can use the built-in Disk Utility to format your drives to ensure compatibility. Your Mac can read the HFS+, NTFS, Fat32, exFAT and ext2 file systems.
How do I format a Seagate external hard drive for Mac to exFAT?
- Make sure the storage device is connected to and mounted on the computer.
- Select Go > Utilities in the Finder menu bar.
- In the Utilities folder, double-click Disk Utility. …
- Select the Seagate drive in the left column.
- Click the Erase tab.
- Choose a format from the drop-down window.
- Enter a name for the volume.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC?
How to format an external drive in OS X
- Select the drive you want to format. …
- Enter the amount of space you want to set aside for Time Machine. …
- Select the new untitled partition so we can format it as exFAT for use with both Mac and Windows. …
- Give the partition a name and select exFAT for the format.
How do I make my flash drive compatible with Mac and PC?
- Insert the flash drive or hard drive you want to format for Windows compatibility. …
- Select the drive you want to format. …
- Click the Erase button.
- Click the Format menu, then choose either MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT. …
- Enter a name for the volume (no more than 11 characters).
- Click Erase, then click Done.
What is the best allocation unit size for exFAT?
The simple solution is to reformat in exFAT with an allocation unit size of 128k or less. Then everything fits since not so much wasted space of each file.
How do I format a SanDisk flash drive on a Mac?
How to Format a USB Flash Drive to FAT32 on macOS
- Connect the SanDisk USB flash drive to the Mac computer.
- Go to Applications, Utilities and double click and open Disk Utility.
- Select the SanDisk USB flash drive from the sidebar and choose Erase.
How do I format a flash drive to NTFS on a Mac?
To get started, click the Spotlight icon at the top right of your screen and enter ‘Disk’ to launch Disk Utility. Insert your NTFS drive or USB stick and click to highlight the disk name in the white box on the left-hand side of the window. Select the ‘Erase’ tab. Under ‘Format‘ choose ‘(MS-DOS FAT)’.
What format should a USB stick be for Mac?
The overwhelming majority of USB flash drives you buy are going to come in one of two formats: FAT32 or NTFS. The first format, FAT32, is fully compatible with Mac OS X, though with some drawbacks that we’ll discuss later.