Plug in the connector of your device slowly into the port of your Mac — this ensures proper initiation. Go to Applications → Utilities → Disk Utility. You should be able to see the external hard drive under the External heading in the sidebar on the left. Click on it to open the drive’s information.
How do I get my Mac to recognize an external hard drive?
Check Apple’s Disk Utility to see if an external drive is showing up. Disk Utility is within System Preferences, or you can find it using Spotlight. If it is visible, then click the option to Mount, which should make it visible on the desktop and in the External Drives option in the Finder menu.
Why can’t I use my external hard drive on my Mac?
Change the Drive’s Permissions
If the formatting of the drive is correct but you still can’t put files onto an external hard drive on a Mac, it might be a problem related to the permissions on your drive. … Expand the section that says “Sharing & Permissions,” then click on the lock icon so it’s open.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC?
How to format an external drive in OS X
- Select the drive you want to format. …
- Enter the amount of space you want to set aside for Time Machine. …
- Select the new untitled partition so we can format it as exFAT for use with both Mac and Windows. …
- Give the partition a name and select exFAT for the format.
Why is the external hard drive not showing up?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
Do all external hard drives work with Mac?
Will hard drives formatted for PC work on a Mac? Generally, yes—for the most part, a hard drive is a hard drive, and any hard drive you buy for a Windows PC should work fine on a Mac as well. … Otherwise, any hard drive with a USB connection should have no trouble working on a Mac.
Why can I not delete files from my external hard drive on Mac?
If you used that HDD with Windows and formatted it with Windows or bought it for a Windows machine, it might be formatted with NTFS, a Windows file system, which Mac OS X can only read, thus you can’t delete files/folders.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC without formatting?
How to make external hard drive compatible with mac and pc without formatting:
- Fortunately there’s a viable neutral ground that is exFat file system. …
- By changing the disk consents and permission to read only option. …
- By splitting a portion of your external drive for windows and mac.
What hard drive format is compatible with Mac and PC?
For a hard drive to be able to be read and written to in both a PC and Mac computer, it must be formatted to ExFAT or FAT32 file format. FAT32 has several limitations, including a 4 GB per-file limit.
How do I convert my Mac external hard drive to Windows?
Convert Formatted Drive From Mac to Windows
- Get a Backup. Before going ahead and formatting your hard drive for Windows, you should get a backup. …
- Delete the Mac Formatted Partition. …
- Delete EFI System Partition. …
- Assign NTFS File System.
How do I get my Mac to read my hard drive to NTFS?
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Terminal on your Mac.
- Connect the drive formatted as NTFS.
- Enter this command: sudo nano /etc/fstab.
- Scroll to the end of the list, and enter this command: LABEL=NAME none ntfs rw, auto, nobrowse.
- Press Control+O on your Mac keyboard.
- Press Control+X on your keyboard.
- Open Finder on your Mac.
How do I fix my external hard drive not being recognized?
External Drive Not Showing Up or Detected? 6 Fixes to Try
- Make Sure Your External Drive Turns On. This is a preliminary step, but still one worth checking. …
- Check the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Try Another USB Port and Computer. …
- Troubleshoot Device Driver Issues. …
- Create a New Drive Volume. …
- Format the External Drive.
Why does my external hard drive not show up Windows 10?
If the external hard drive is not showing up in Windows 10, it may be caused by the incompatible file system format. If there is no data on the drive, you can right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select Format to format the drive to NTFS. But this will lost all data.
Why is my external hard drive not showing up PS4?
The PS4 cannot read the external hard drive due to various reasons, including a corrupted PS4 system software, a corrupted external HDD or a malfunctioning USB port.