Want to use one external drive for both your Windows PC and your Mac machine? … Windows uses NTFS while Mac OS uses HFS, and they’re incompatible with each other. However, you can format the drive to work with both Windows and Mac by using the exFAT filesystem.
Can you use the same external hard drive for Mac and PC?
OS X and Windows include native support for FAT32 file systems, so if you’re sharing an external hard drive between a Mac and PC, format it with FAT32. However, if your drive is larger than 2TB and you plan to store files larger than 4GB, use exFAT instead.
Can I use an external hard drive on 2 different computers?
You can link a single external hard drive to two or more computers that are on the same network. … You cannot, however, connect two computers directly to the drive by USB, eSATA or Firewire. External hard drives can only be connected to one computer, and they can then be set up for sharing over a network.
Can I use Seagate External Hard Drive with Mac and PC?
Newer Seagate and LaCie branded external drives come preformatted with the exFAT file system, which allows it to be used on both Mac and Windows without reformatting the drive. … If you need to use your drive on both Mac and PC then it’s best to format exFAT.
How do I convert my Mac external hard drive to Windows?
Convert Formatted Drive From Mac to Windows
- Get a Backup. Before going ahead and formatting your hard drive for Windows, you should get a backup. …
- Delete the Mac Formatted Partition. …
- Delete EFI System Partition. …
- Assign NTFS File System.
How do I connect two external hard drives together?
How to Connect Multiple External Hard Drives
- Plug the hard drives directly into your computer if you have enough ports. …
- Connect the external storage devices through a daisy chain if you run out of USB or firewire ports. …
- Get a hard drive with a port. …
- Hook up the first hard drive.
How can I share my hard drive between two computers?
Share a folder, drive, or printer
- Right-click the folder or drive you want to share.
- Click Properties. …
- Click Share this folder.
- In the appropriate fields, type the name of the share (as it appears to other computers), the maximum number of simultaneous users, and any comments that should appear beside it.
Why can’t Windows 10 see my external drive?
If the external hard drive is not showing up in Windows 10, it may be caused by the incompatible file system format. If there is no data on the drive, you can right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select Format to format the drive to NTFS. But this will lost all data.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC without formatting?
How to make external hard drive compatible with mac and pc without formatting:
- Fortunately there’s a viable neutral ground that is exFat file system. …
- By changing the disk consents and permission to read only option. …
- By splitting a portion of your external drive for windows and mac.
Why won’t my external hard drive show up on my PC?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.