Can iTunes play files from an external hard drive?
Yes, but you’ll need to do some folder rearranging to get your iTunes library to turn to the media on your external drive instead of to the files in the iTunes folder on your computer. … Then, attach the hard drive to your new computer, open iTunes, and go to the Preferences menu.
How do I get iTunes to recognize music on my external hard drive?
Click on Choose Library then navigate to your iTunes Media folder located on the external hard drive. After iTunes is running select Preferences from the iTunes menu, click on the Advanced icon in the toolbar. Change the path to the media folder to that of the external drive.
How do I access my external hard drive on a Mac?
Double-click the USB hard drive icon to open up a Finder window and browse its contents. Click Finder > Devices to see a small icon of the external hard drive when plugged in. Click to select it and show its contents in Finder.
How do I move my music library to an external hard drive?
Move Your iTunes Library to an External Drive
- From the main iTunes menu, go to iTunes > Preferences then click Advanced. …
- Also in the Advanced Preferences windows, click Change.
- From the iTunes Media Folder Location windows, navigate to the new drive (Backup Plus for example).
Can you play music directly from external hard drive?
To summarize, the two methods you can use to play music directly from a hard drive are either to connect the drive to a receiver or other playback device which has the capacity to work with USB mass storage devices, or simply hook it up to a computer and use a media player.
Why is my Mac not recognizing my external hard drive?
Your external hard drive is not readable on Mac because it is formatted in NTFS, HFS+, or another format not supported by macOS. A loosely connected or frayed USB cable is another possible reason the external drive is not recognized by your Mac. Change the cable to fix the issue.
Why can’t I copy from Mac to external hard drive?
If you can’t move or copy a file or folder, you might need to change its permissions settings. You might also need to change permissions settings for the disk, server, or folder where you want to move the item. On your Mac, select the item, then choose File > Get Info, or press Command-I.
Why can’t I search my external hard drive Mac?
If searching your Mac doesn’t return expected results, rebuilding the Spotlight index might help.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Drag the folder or disk that you want to index again to the list of locations that Spotlight is prevented from searching.
How do I move photos library to external hard drive Mac?
Move your Photos library to an external storage device
- Quit Photos.
- In the Finder, go to the external drive where you want to store your library.
- In another Finder window, find your Photos Library. …
- Drag Photos Library to its new location on the external drive.