If your drive is powered on but still isn’t appearing in File Explorer, it’s time to do some digging. Open the Start menu and type “disk management,” and press Enter when the Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions option appears. Once Disk Management loads, scroll down to see if your disk appears in the list.
Why can’t I find my external hard drive on Windows 10?
If the external hard drive is not showing up in Windows 10, it may be caused by the incompatible file system format. If there is no data on the drive, you can right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select Format to format the drive to NTFS. But this will lost all data.
Why is my external hard drive not showing up in file explorer?
This can be caused by any of the following: Your drive does not have a drive letter assigned to it in Disk Management. The drive may be disabled or offline. Your USB driver may be corrupted.
How do I fix Windows not recognizing my external hard drive?
External Drive Not Showing Up or Detected? 6 Fixes to Try
- Make Sure Your External Drive Turns On. This is a preliminary step, but still one worth checking. …
- Check the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Try Another USB Port and Computer. …
- Troubleshoot Device Driver Issues. …
- Create a New Drive Volume. …
- Format the External Drive.
How do I fix Windows not detecting my hard drive?
To check to see if this is the cause of the BIOS not detecting the hard drive, follow these steps:
- Power off the computer.
- Open the computer case and remove the data cable from the hard drive. This will stop any power saving commands from being sent.
- Turn on the system. Check to see if the hard drive is spinning.
Why can I not access my external hard drive?
If you meet the problem that cannot access the external hard drive, you can open Windows Disk Management to see whether it is a new hard drive without any partition. If there is no partition on the hard drive, then, you can partition hard drive, so that it can be accessed normally.
Why is my external hard drive not detected?
Hard drive not detected error/issue can be caused by the following situations: The USB driver has become unstable, outdated or corrupt. USB ports become faulty, damaged or broken. Partition issues on your external USB device.
Why is my Seagate external hard drive not showing up?
If your Seagate external hard drive is detected, the original cable is the cause. If the problem still appears, connect the external hard drive to another USB port. … If your computer is desktop, you should make sure that the USB port into which the Seagate external hard drive plugs is on the back of your computer.
What do I do if my external hard drive is not detected?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. …
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC) …
- Update Your Drivers. …
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch. …
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive. …
- Our Favorite External Hard Drives.
How do I access my external hard drive on Windows 10?
Here’s how to do it.
- Plug your external hard drive into your desktop or laptop PC. …
- In the Windows 10 search bar, type This PC.
- Click This PC.
- Click the external hard drive listed. …
- Access any files on the hard drive like you would with an ordinary internal hard drive.
How do I fix Windows 10 not detecting my hard drive?
How to fix “Hard drive not detected” on Windows 10?
- Re-enable the missing drive in the Disk Management.
- Reconnect the external hard drive.
- Format the drive.
- Check the status of the hard drive.
- Update the driver.
- Update Windows.
- Reinstall USB controllers to make the second hard drive recognized.
Why my hard drive is not showing up?
If your new harddisk is not detected by or Disk Manager, it could be because of a driver issue, connection issue, or faulty BIOS settings. These can be fixed. Connection issues can be from a faulty USB port, or a damaged cable. Incorrect BIOS settings may cause the new hard drive to be disabled.